Matthew 3:16-4:11New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)
16 And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, the Beloved,[a] with whom I am well pleased.”
The Temptation of Jesus
4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 He fasted forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was famished. 3 The tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.” 4 But he answered, “It is written,
‘One does not live by bread alone,
but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and placed him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 saying to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down; for it is written,
‘He will command his angels concerning you,’
and ‘On their hands they will bear you up,
so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.’”
7 Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”
8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor; 9 and he said to him, “All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me.” 10 Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! for it is written,
‘Worship the Lord your God,
and serve only him.’”
11 Then the devil left him, and suddenly angels came and waited on him.
Meditation Prayer & Questions:
Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit, living in Mary, and fill my heart that I may radiate the joy of the Gospel to those around me.
- At his baptism the heavens were opened and the waters were sanctified by the descent of Jesus and the Holy Spirit, what does this signifies
- How can you enter into the mystery of Jesus’ humble self-abasement and baptism?
- Do you want to see changes in your life? And do you want to become a more effective instrument of the gospel?
- Do you ever fell compelled or driven to do something radical for God?
- Why was Jesus compelled to seek solitude for such a lengthy period?
- How can we overcome sin and oppression in our personal lives?
“Lord, your word is life and joy for me. Fill me with your Holy Spirit that I may have the strength and courage to embrace your will in all things and to renounce whatever is contrary to it.”