Luke 14:1-14New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)
Jesus Heals the Man with Dropsy
14 On one occasion when Jesus[a] was going to the house of a leader of the Pharisees to eat a meal on the sabbath, they were watching him closely. 2 Just then, in front of him, there was a man who had dropsy. 3 And Jesus asked the lawyers and Pharisees, “Is it lawful to cure people on the sabbath, or not?” 4 But they were silent. So Jesus[b] took him and healed him, and sent him away. 5 Then he said to them, “If one of you has a child[c] or an ox that has fallen into a well, will you not immediately pull it out on a sabbath day?” 6 And they could not reply to this.
Humility and Hospitality
7 When he noticed how the guests chose the places of honor, he told them a parable. 8 “When you are invited by someone to a wedding banquet, do not sit down at the place of honor, in case someone more distinguished than you has been invited by your host; 9 and the host who invited both of you may come and say to you, ‘Give this person your place,’ and then in disgrace you would start to take the lowest place. 10 But when you are invited, go and sit down at the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he may say to you, ‘Friend, move up higher’; then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at the table with you. 11 For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
12 He said also to the one who had invited him, “When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. 13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. 14 And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”
Meditation Prayer & Questions:
Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit, living in Mary… and pour upon us your seven spiritual gifts.
- What does Sunday means to you today?
- When Jesus asked the layers and Pharisees “is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath”, why they kept silent and did not answer Him
- If Jesus was to ask you same question, what would be your reply? Do you always say the truth regardless the cost?
- Humility is so necessary for our salvation that Jesus takes every opportunity to stress its important. What does it mean to be humble?
- Our Blessed Mother Mary, is our greatest model of humility (after Jesus). Do you ask her to teach you how to be humble
Jesus Meek and Humble of Heart, make our hearts like Yours