Matthew 7:15-27New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)
A Tree and Its Fruit
15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? 17 In the same way, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus you will know them by their fruits.
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?’ 23 Then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers.’
Hearers and Doers
24 “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. 25 The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell—and great was its fall!”
Meditation Questions& Prayer:
Prayer: Come, Holy Spirit, living in Mary, and flood my heart with the love of God.
- What do grapes, thorns, figs, and thistles have to teach us about the kingdom of God?
- How do you know when someone or something is genuine?
- How do you avoid falsehood?
- Do you cultivate good fruit in your life and reject whatever produces bad fruit?
- Are you ready to follow the Lord wherever he may lead you?
- What does it cost to be a disciple?
- Does the love of Christ compel you to give your all for the Lord?
- Is there anything holding you back from giving your all to the Lord?
“Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my whole will and do with me as you will.”